Still recommending daily vacuum... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Still recommending daily vacuum...
Date
Re: Still recommending daily vacuum...  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
From
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/routine-vacuuming.html :

"Recommended practice for most sites is to schedule a database-wide
VACUUM once a day at a low-usage time of day, supplemented by more
frequent vacuuming of heavily-updated tables if necessary. (Some
installations with extremely high update rates vacuum their busiest
tables as often as once every few minutes.) If you have multiple
databases in a cluster, don't forget to VACUUM each one; the program
vacuumdb  might be helpful."

Do we still want that to be our formal recommendation? ISTM it would be
more logical to recommend a combination of autovac, daily vacuumdb -a if
you can afford it and have a quiet period, and frequent manual vacuuming
of things like web session tables.

I'm happy to come up with a patch, but I figure there should be
consensus first...
--
Jim Nasby                                      decibel@decibel.org