record fields as columns in reports - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Reinoud van Leeuwen
Subject record fields as columns in reports
Date
Re: record fields as columns in reports  ("Rodrigo De León" <rdeleonp@gmail.com>)
Re: record fields as columns in reports  ("A. Kretschmer" <andreas.kretschmer@schollglas.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Hi everybody,

I have a script that runs every night and produces a list of a few error
conditions and the number.

My manager would like it in a form where he can produce some charts in a
spreadsheet (that's probably why he's a manager ";-).

So the table I store the errormessages in has a format like this:

CREATE TABLE repport_history
( rundate date, errordescription character varying(255), number bigint
)

And I would like an output with something like:
         06/22     06/23    06/24    06/25
ERROR1     10         10       9         8
ERROR2    250        300     220       200
ERROR3      4          2       0         0

(probably in csv or something like that but that is the easy part ";-)

The problems are:
- how to create a dynamic result type? (is that possible in a stored
procedure?)
- how to make sure that missing records are reported as 0 (some errors might not have entries on some dates)

Has somebody ever made a generic solution for something like this? (or do
I need a reporting tool?)

Thanks in advance,
Reinoud

"Nothing is as subjective as reality"