Function call costs for SQL and PLPgSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vincenzo Romano
Subject Function call costs for SQL and PLPgSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all.
I need to create a huge SQL script to load 20+ M rows in a DB.
I've been force to wrap the inserts into PG functions.
I can write them in either SQl or PLPgSQL but don't know
whether this can make a big difference as far as time of
overall execution is concerned.

Somewhere else I've been told that SQL function bodies get "inlined"
during execution. Is thus correct to consider SQL functions "faster"
that the conterpart written in PLPgSQL?

Thanks.

--
Vincenzo Romano