Re: inner join problem with temporary tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: inner join problem with temporary tables
Date
List pgsql-general
PFC wrote:

> >This message appears:
> >
> >ERROR: relation "t_arti" does not exist
> >SQL state: 42P01
> >Context: SQL function "test1"
> >

> >Why it does not work???
> >thanks for your help
>
>     Because plpgsql functions are compiled on first execution and all
>     queries  are then prepared. All tables are referenced directly in prepared
> statements, not by name. Any prepared statement that refers to dropped
> tables (even dropped temp tables) is thus unfit for consumption.

This is correct but it's not the problem at hand -- notice how the
error message is not talking about an unknown OID.  I think the problem
here is that he is using SELECT INTO, which is different in PL/pgSQL
than what is in plain SQL.  I bet using CREATE TABLE AS instead of
SELECT INTO would work.