Re: [HACKERS] Avoiding legal email signatures - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Avoiding legal email signatures
Date
List pgsql-www
On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 01:04:13PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> This is a good idea anyway.  We should have a list usage policy,
> and we should link to if from the subscribe confirmation and from
> the web subscription page.  In addition to letting people know that
> e-mail confidentiality footers will be ignored, we can tell them
> how the lists are moderated, how to unsubscribe (can't have this in
> enough places), not to use HTML mail, etc.
>
> So, who wants to write it?

If there are no other volunteers (I may have overlooked them), I'm
willing to.  I'm all for a note in the subscription &c. that says we
don't approve of, and will not be bound by, these footers.  I just
don't think we should ignore the poor sods on whom these things have
been inflicted.

> The only additional idea I have is that we ought to simply strip
> away any e-mail footer over 4 lines from the archives.  Not only
> would this purge the confidentiality footers, it would save us some
> space in general.

I will support this as soon as you can guarantee that the program to
do this cannot, in any possible world, ever have any bugs ;-)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Everything that happens in the world happens at some place.    --Jane Jacobs