BUG #3378: UTF-8 upper() and lower() don't work - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Kenneth Christensen
Subject BUG #3378: UTF-8 upper() and lower() don't work
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      3378
Logged by:          Kenneth Christensen
Email address:      kec@mediatorsystems.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.2
Operating system:   Mac OS 10.4.9
Details:

I have a DB where encoding is set to UTF-8.

The DB have some tables where some of the columns (varchar) contains danish
chars.

It looks like lower() and upper() ignores the danish chars when I try to
convert to lowercase or uppercase.

E.g.

Case 1:
-------

Column 'name' contains 'Æble, tørret':

select upper(food_name.name) from food_name

Result: ÆBLE, TøRRET
Expected result: ÆBLE, TØRRET

or

select lower(food_name.name) from food_name

Result: Æble, tørret
Expected result: æble, tørret

Case 2:
-------

Column 'name' contains 'æøå':

select upper(food_name.name) from food_name

Result: æøå
Expected result: ÆØÅ

Case 3:
-------

Column 'name' contains 'ÆØÅ':

select lower(food_name.name) from food_name

Result: ÆØÅ
Expected result: æøå

---

I can see I'm not alone with this kind of bug. This bug is really a big
problem for me.

I really don't want to replace PostgreSQL with MySQL !
Will this bug be fixed very soon?

Best regards

Kenneth Christensen