Re: Moving pg_xlog to another drive - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Moving pg_xlog to another drive
Date
List pgsql-general
Ben wrote:
> I'm trying to move my WAL to another drive, but am having difficulties
> with this seemingly simple process. Every time I start up with pg_xlog
> symlinked to my other drive, I get this:
>
> FATAL:  could not open file "pg_xlog/00000001.history": Permission denied
>
> If I move pg_xlog back into its normal place then things work fine. The
> postgres user can certainly create files when using the symlink, so I
> really don't think it's a permission issue... but I'm at a loss as to what
> else it might be.

Maybe the postgres user does not have all permissions in dirs leading to
the new directory?  You must give it at least "x" permissions on all
levels up to the parent.

--
Alvaro Herrera                         http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvherre/
Criptografía: Poderosa técnica algorítmica de codificación que es