Re: Need a wee bit more info on PostgreSQL's SSL security options - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Ray Stell
Subject Re: Need a wee bit more info on PostgreSQL's SSL security options
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 04:39:18PM +0200, Andreas wrote:
> I can connect and it seams to work in my current test condition.

Good, please write the tutorial you were looking for, since you now
understand how it goes together.  I had intended to do the same, but
have not.  I won't remember how it works next time I need it.

> My first idea was to secure the connection with a ssh-tunnel but then I
> can't stop a user to finger for other internal server ports besides
> 5432.

host based firewall port rules might be used to address this.

> The next point is to prohibit former users access to the server, even
> though they might still posess userid+password and the ssl-credentials.

Layers are a good thing in network security.

A vpn with user mgmt seems called for, move the AAA
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_protocol) off to another system.
OpenVPN might fit here.  We use a router based, commercial solution for this
along with an external authentication system.

A vpn is not the whole answer, it might add a layer to keep the good
guys and the dumb, bad guys out.  The smart, bad guys will require more
layers from you and ssl seems like a good choice.

> There ssh seems to have the advantage, that one can take away the
> ssl-certificate and allready stop the unwanted guest entering ssh one
> step before the dbms' password check.
> Probaply this can be done with this CertificateRevocationList.

I haven't used this, so I'll defer to the wise.

--
  Lost time is when we learn nothing from the experiences of life. Time
 gained is when we grow to have a wisdom that is tested in the reality of life.