Re: Very big transaction in a stored procedure : how can i commit in the middle of it ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Very big transaction in a stored procedure : how can i commit in the middle of it ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 03:59:15PM +0200, Célestin HELLEU wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I already know that transaction is impossible inside a function, but I think I really need a way to counter this
>
> I have a stored procedure in pl/sql that makes about 2 000 000
> insert. With the way it works, PostGreSQL il making a unique
> transaction with all this, resulting so bad performances I can't wait
> the procedure to finish

In general making seperate transactions slows things down, not speeds
things up. Have you actually check what the cause of the slowness is?
Are there any triggers, foreign key, etc defined. Is the query in the
loop fast enough?

You're going to have to provide more details.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment