Re: Role based database access - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Role based database access
Date
List pgsql-admin
Thomas Mack wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I face a problem here with restricting access to databases to
> the owners of the database (Postgres 8.1.4).
>
> We would like any postgres user to have database access restricted
> to their own databases only. This is so, as we use postgres for
> educational purposes.
>
> I looked into pg_hba.conf, but unfortunately, when restricting
> database access in the database field, the NAME(!) of the database
> is concerned, which we do not restrict. Any user can create as
> many databases as needed, and the name may be choosen freely.

In the database name you can specify "@file", which points to a file
containing a list of database names that the pg_hba.conf lines applies
to.  One idea is to have the database creation routine put a line into
that file (which would be specific to each user).