Re: strange problem with ip6 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Christian Kratzer
Subject Re: strange problem with ip6
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi,

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> Christian Kratzer <ck-lists@cksoft.de> writes:
>> It's not that simple though.  The ipv6 stack will propably not allow
>> users to build sockets from addresses in link local scope from a
>> specific interface to a server bound to a global address, ::1, or
>> scoped to any other interface.  After all link local means exactly
>> this.
>
>> So if you have your postgres listening on ::1 you will not be
>> able to connect from your fe80::dead:beef%fxp0 address.
>
> But if you tell it to listen to *, won't it bind to everything in sight?

yes.

> In particular we know that this thread started because someone had a
> connection through a scoped address, so one way or another it's possible.

thats propably exactly how it happened.  I agree now that a workaround
is needed until the inet types supports scoped addresses.

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                      CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck@cksoft.de                  Schwarzwaldstr. 31