Re: WAL file utilization question - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: WAL file utilization question
Date
Re: WAL file utilization question  (Keaton Adams <kadams@mxlogic.com>)
List pgsql-admin
On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 10:49:04AM -0600, Keaton Adams wrote:
> So, if I do set the checkpoint_segments parameter to 50, 75, or even 100
> I will have a considerable number of WAL files in data/pg_xlog, but they
> will be used more efficiently, so I will be archiving less?  That's what
> I understand from the comments received so far.

Yes. Let it create 500 or 1000 WAL files if it wants... it's much more
important to limit the frequency of checkpoints than to reduce the
number of WAL files (which has virtually no impact on performance).
--
Jim Nasby                                      decibel@decibel.org