Re: How overcome wait for vacuum full? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Nick Urbanik
Subject Re: How overcome wait for vacuum full?
Date
List pgsql-admin
Thank you Geoff,

On 15/05/07 16:11 -0700, Geoff Tolley wrote:
>Nick Urbanik wrote:
>If you're waiting on vacuum to get around to the one table, you can run
>VACUUM FULL <tablename> instead.

Clearly that is what I should have done!  It has reached the table now.

>Personally I've found that dropping indices (including the PK), then
>vacuum full, then recreating indices can be an awful lot faster than
>just leaving vacuum full to its own devices.

I'll investigate this for next time.

>Yes you ought to be able to reclaim disk space by the copy/drop
>original/rename procedure, but that gets hard to manage if you have
>triggers or foreign keys on the table in question. You might want to
>use CREATE TABLE table_copy (LIKE orig_table) to preserve column
>defaults if you go down that path.

It seems that PostgreSQL 7.3.8 does not support create table
table_name like original_table.

Can you suggest a way I can create a duplicate table with the same
triggers and other stuff that this table has?

What is the most efficient way to copy the data?
--
Nick Urbanik   RHCE         http://nicku.org        nicku@nicku.org

Attachment