Re: Have vacuum emit a warning when it runs out of maintenance_work_mem - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Have vacuum emit a warning when it runs out of maintenance_work_mem
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 07:57:44PM +0100, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Or we could switch to a more compact representation of the dead tuples,
> and not need such a big maintenance_work_mem in the first place.

Sure, but even with a more compact representation you can still run out
of maintenance_work_mem... unless we allow this to spill to disk. At
first guess that sounds insane, but if you've got a large enough set of
indexes it *might* actually be faster.

Either way, as long as maintenance_work_mem is an issue I think we need
a way to warn users.