Re: IP Address Validation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: IP Address Validation
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 12:22:37AM -0400, Jasbinder Singh Bali wrote:
> I need to check whether the input string is in ip address format or not in
> one of my pl/pgsql functions.
> What function should be used to accomplish this
>
> I tried using
> if inet(strInput)
>
> However, it throws an exception if the input string is not in IP address
> format.
>
> I could have caught this exception but really don't know what type of
> exception category would this exception come under..

psql test
test=> \set VERBOSITY verbose
test=> select inet('junk');
ERROR:  22P02: invalid input syntax for type inet: "junk"

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/errcodes-appendix.html

22P02    INVALID TEXT REPRESENTATION    invalid_text_representation

--
Michael Fuhr