Re: Throttling PostgreSQL's CPU usage - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Steinar H. Gunderson
Subject Re: Throttling PostgreSQL's CPU usage
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 06:32:14PM -0400, Carlos Moreno wrote:
>> Or use a dual-core system. :-)
> Am I missing something??  There is just *one* instance of this idea in,
> what, four replies??  I find it so obvious, and so obviously the only
> solution that has any hope to work, that it makes me think I'm missing
> something ...

Actually, it should be added that this suggestion was only partially
tongue-in-cheek. I wrote a 3D application as part of an internship a couple
of years ago, and it had a problem that worked vaguely like the given
scenario: Adding a background task (in this case the task that loaded in new
pieces of terrain) would kill the framerate for the user, but nicing down
(actually, down-prioritizing, as this was on Windows) the back-end would
starve it completely of cycles. The solution was to just define that this
would only be run on multiprocessor systems, where both tasks would chug
along nicely :-)

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/