Re: [ADMIN] pg_buffercache view - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: [ADMIN] pg_buffercache view
Date
List pgsql-general

> Hello!
>
>  Do you know which could be the reasons that could conduce an application to
> not release the shared buffers, even after the application was shut down?
>  I noticed that only if a pg_ctl restart command is issued some of the
> buffers are set free.

The reason would be "by design."

If the server flushes its cache every time the application restarts, the
cache isn't going to be very effective.

If PostgreSQL is using more shared buffers than you're comfortable with,
reduce the shared_buffers setting in the config.  That will allow the OS
to decide how to use the memory instead.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com