Re: new idea - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: new idea
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 09:11:57AM -0500, Erik Jones wrote:

> I don't really even see the need for inheritance here.  This is what
> most ORMs do at the application level already.

Wel, sure, but the poster seemed to think that having a way to
represent this in the database was a good thing.  (I'm not actually
convinced even of that.  The whole point of SQL was to move away from
the hierarchical model, and so grafting a lot of hierarchy back onto
it suggests to me that the OP has picked the wrong technology for the
problem at the outset.)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.                --Brad Holland