Re: Problem with copying data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alan Hodgson
Subject Re: Problem with copying data
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 06 April 2007 13:17, Klaas Dellschaft <klaasd@uni-koblenz.de>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently trying to copy two large files (1.6 GB and 3.5 GB) with a
> "COPY FROM" into my database. But I'm waiting for the completion of this
> job since more than 24h. I'm working under Linux and with "top" I can
> see the two processes which should copy the data but most of the time
> they are not working. Very seldom they are using some CPU time and then
> get idle again.

What does the wait % (%wa) say when they are "idle"?  I would generally
assume you're io-bound on a large COPY, especially if the target table is
already indexed.  24-hours seems excessive, though, unless this is a
notebook drive or something.

--
99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name