Re: Question on pgpsql function - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Question on pgpsql function
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Sunday 08 April 2007 12:47 pm, Karthikeyan Sundaram wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
>    I am using Postgres 8.1.0 and I have a requirement.
>
>  I have a table
>
>   create table weekly_tbl (id int, week_flag bit(7) not null default
> '1111111');
>
> I want to create a function like this
>
> create function week_func (int) returns weekly_tbl as
> $$
>   select id,
>            substr(week_flag,1,1) as monday_flag,
>            substr(week_flag,2,1) as tuesday_flag,
>            substr(week_flag,3,1) as wednesday_flag,
>            substr(week_flag,4,1) as thursday_flag,
>            substr(week_flag,5,1) as friday_flag,
>            substr(week_flag,6,1) as saturday_flag,
>            substr(week_flag,7,1) as sunday_flag
>     from weekly_tbl where id=$1;
> $$
> language SQL;
>
>  I am getting an error message
> ERROR:  function substr(bit, integer, integer) does not existHINT:  No
> function matches the given name and argument types. You may need to add
> explicit type casts.CONTEXT:  SQL function "week_func"
>
> I know I can do this in view.  But for a purpose, I don't want to do it in
> view. Can somebody help me?
>
> Regards
> skarthi

The problem is with your use of the substr() function. You are passing it a
field of type bit (week_flag) where the function needs a text type.  See the
documentation for bit functions-
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/functions-bitstring.html
There are some bit compatible string functions mentioned.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net