Re: Increasing the shared memory - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Sorin N. Ciolofan
Subject Re: Increasing the shared memory
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Increasing the shared memory  (Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>)
List pgsql-admin

             Thanks,

            I’ve a value of 1000 set for shared_buffers, does this means that I use 8kbX1000=8Mb of Shared Mem?

The definition from the manual is quite confusing:

shared_buffers (integer)

Sets the amount of memory the database server uses for shared memory buffers. The default is typically 32 megabytes (32MB), but may be less if your kernel settings will not support it (as determined during initdb). This setting must be at least 128 kilobytes and at least 16 kilobytes times max_connections.

What does the integer number represent? Number of shared buffers? If yes, what size does each shared buffer have?

The default is typically 32 megabytes” suggests that this integer could also represent the number of megabytes?!?

In the postgresql.conf file is an ambiguous comment that could induce the idea that each shared buffer has 8 kb.

So, which is the meaning of this integer?

Thanks.

S.