Re: load the whole database into RAM - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: load the whole database into RAM
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 11:43:38PM -0700, filippo wrote:
> I use pgsql to store data for my program (hotel manager). The
> filesystem reports that the size on disk of database is not so bing
> (~100MB  ~20MB actual data). I want to tune the engine to fit the
> database as much as possible in RAM, say: postgres, please, use 512MB
> (1GB) of my RAM just for your needs and     load everithing on it. Is
> it possible and, of course, effective?

Just put lots of RAM in the machine and let the OS cache it all. The
only knob you'd really need to tune would be random_page_cost, which
you could set at one (though perhaps effective_cache_size will handle
that for you...

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment