Re: Patch queue concern - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Patch queue concern
Date
Re: Patch queue concern  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 21:15 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Right now, all the patches I think are ready for review are in the patch
> > queue:
> >
> >     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches
> >
> > However, with feature freeze coming on Sunday, I am worried because
> > there are a significant number of patches that have are not ready for
> > review because they have not been completed by their authors.
>
> It's probably a good idea to have a queue of those too, to allow others
> to finish them if the original author hasn't/can't/won't. I'm not sure
> which ones you mean.

At this point, with four days left before feature freeze, if the authors
don't finish them, I doubt someone else is going to be able to do it.

> I have at least 2 patches that depend upon other patches in the queue.
> I'm not sure how to go about completing them, so any advice or guidance
> would be welcome:
>
> - Scan_recycle_buffers depends upon synchronised scans because we agreed
> we would use the same parameter (if any exists) to govern the behaviour.
> Should I write a patch-on-patch? What happens if the patch changes after
> review? ISTM I should just wait until the first one is applied and then
> I can make the necessary changes in about an hour. The patch's main
> functionality is complete.

Yes, that is fine.  I was unaware that is why the patch wasn't "done".
Once synchronised scans is in, I will go back to you and ask for a new
version against CVS.  I will put your email in the patch queue as a
reminder.

> - Fast cluster conflicts with Heikki's cluster patch, so one of them
> will need fixing depending which is applied first. I don't mind if its
> me going second. I also have proposed an additional mode on VACUUM FULL
> that builds upon Heikki's patch - should I submit that also, even though
> it cannot be applied?

OK, same rules.  I am just glad that is all that was hold them up.  I
was worried.  What about the delayed fsync patch?

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com