Re: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alan Hodgson
Subject Re: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8"
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 21 March 2007 04:17, "Fuzzygoth" <dav.phillips@ntlworld.com>
wrote:
> I've searched the forums and found people with similar problems but
> not much
> on a way to remedy it. I did try using iconv which was suggested in a
> thread
> but it returned an error saying even the 22GB file was too large to
> work on.

iconv needs to read the whole file into RAM.  What you can do is use the
UNIX split utility to split the dump file into smaller segments, use iconv
on each segment, and then cat all the converted segments back together into
a new dump file.  iconv is I think your best option for converting the dump
to a valid encoding.

--
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are
free." -- Johann W. Von Goethe