Re: triple self-join crawling - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: triple self-join crawling
Date
List pgsql-sql
Define "crawling".  Also, please post EXPLAIN and, if feasible,
EXPLAIN ANALYSE output for your case.

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 07:51:28PM +0000, T E Schmitz wrote:
> The following self join of a table containing 5800 records is crawling:
>
> CREATE TABLE history
> (
>     stock VARCHAR(30) NOT NULL,
>     day date NOT NULL,
>     open NUMERIC (6,1) NOT NULL,
>     high NUMERIC (6,1) NOT NULL,
>     low NUMERIC (6,1) NOT NULL,
>     close NUMERIC (6,1) NOT NULL,
>     volume NUMERIC (12) NOT NULL,
>     PRIMARY KEY (stock,day)
> );
>

> SELECT
>     history.stock, history.day, history.high, history.low,
>     MAX(past_week.high) AS week_high,
>     MAX(past_month.high) AS month_high
> FROM history
> INNER JOIN history AS past_month ON (past_month.stock = history.stock
> AND past_month.day < history.day AND past_month.day >= (history.day - 30))
> INNER JOIN history AS past_week  ON (past_week.stock   =
> past_month.stock AND past_week.day < history.day AND past_week.day >=
> (history.day - 7))
> GROUP BY  history.stock, history.day, history.high, history.low
> ORDER BY history.stock, history.day DESC
>

> How can I speed this up?
>

> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Unfortunately reformatting the Internet is a little more painful
than reformatting your hard drive when it gets out of whack.    --Scott Morris