Re: Bug in UTF8-Validation Code? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Bug in UTF8-Validation Code?
Date
Re: Bug in UTF8-Validation Code?  (Mario Weilguni <mweilguni@sime.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 11:46:01AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> How can we fix this? Frankly, the statement in the docs warning about
> making sure that escaped sequences are valid in the server encoding is a
> cop-out. We don't accept invalid data elsewhere, and this should be no
> different IMNSHO. I don't see why this should be any different from,
> say, date or numeric data. For years people have sneered at MySQL
> because it accepted dates like Feb 31st, and rightly so. But this seems
> to me to be like our own version of the same problem.

It seems to me that the easiest solution would be to forbid \x?? escape
sequences where it's greater than \x7F for UTF-8 server encodings.
Instead introduce a \u escape for specifying the unicode character
directly. Under the basic principle that any escape sequence still has
to represent a single character. The result can be multiple bytes, but
you don't have to check for consistancy anymore.

Have a nice day,