Re: guc patch: Make variables fall back to default values - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Joachim Wieland
Subject Re: guc patch: Make variables fall back to default values
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:52:38AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Then what is the criterion to tell what is a custom variable and what isn't?
> Why do you need to tell that?  IMHO, once the DefineCustomFoo function
> has been executed, it should be exactly like any other variable (other
> than having a funny name).

For example for the fall-back-to-default patch. I might not need to tell if
it has been introduced by one of the DefineCustomFoo functions but for the
"other" custom variables. Imagine that we have defined a custom variable via
the configuration file, remove it and send SIGHUP. My understanding is that
this variable should then be deleted from the pool of valid variables
because it falls back to its default value and the default value of a custom
variable is its non-existance.

Joachim