Re: guc patch: Make variables fall back to default values - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: guc patch: Make variables fall back to default values
Date
List pgsql-patches
Joachim Wieland wrote:
> Attached is the long-awaited guc patch that makes values fall back to
> their default values when they got removed (or commented) from the
> configuration file. This has always been a source of confusion.

This patch makes, in its source code comments and error messages, overly
enthusiastic references to the fact that a parameter setting was
supposedly "commented".  The only information that is really available,
however, is that the parameter setting disappeared from the
configuration file, and we should not be making other claims.

Another issue that strikes me is that the GUC code apparently makes
mixed used of palloc and guc_malloc, and this patch continues that.
I'm not sure if this is really well thought out.

--
Peter Eisentraut