Re: Auto creation of Partitions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Auto creation of Partitions
Date
Re: Auto creation of Partitions  ("Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD" <ZeugswetterA@spardat.at>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 01:52:27PM +0530, NikhilS wrote:
> >I think it'd be great to make adding and removing partitions as
> >simple as ALTER TABLE. I don't think that DELETE should be the
> >mechanism to drop a partition, though. Again, DML statements
> >shouldn't be performing DDL.
>

> Since partition is inheritance-based, a simple DROP or  "NO INHERIT" will do
> the job to deal with the partition. Do we want to reinvent additional syntax
> when these are around and are documented?

Well, if the syntax for adding a new partition eventually ends up as
ALTER TABLE ADD PARTITION, then it would make more sense that you remove
a partition via ALTER TABLE DROP PARTITION.