Re: why can't I increase shared buffers to higher value? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: why can't I increase shared buffers to higher value?
Date
List pgsql-general
Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have the following config but increasing the shared buffers to a value greater then 32 doesn't let the database
serverstart (I want a value of 256MB there because I will have a giant table of 12 million rows which will be qeuried
extremely).

> I have a 3GB RAM amd64 system running freebsd 6.1 with:
>
> Maintenance_work_mem is 32MB
> Max_stack_depth is 3MB
> Shared_buffers is 32MB
> Temp_buffers is 8MB
> Work_mem is 32MB
>  Max_fsm_pages is 204800
>  Max_connections is 3
>
> And I am doing this:
>
> sysctl -w kern.ipc.shmmax=1954311424
> sysctl -w kern.ipc.shmall=16384
>
> Why is my shared buffer value not increasing?

16384 is only 130M.  Try using 238000 for shmall.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.