Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB

From: Magnus Hagander
Subject: Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Madison Kelly, )
 Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
  Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Mark Stosberg, )
   Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
   Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Madison Kelly, )
    Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Magnus Hagander, )
    Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Mark Stosberg, )
     Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Madison Kelly, )
      Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Mark Stosberg, )
 Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Jeff Davis, )
 Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Charles Sprickman, )
  Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Magnus Hagander, )
   Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Dave Page, )
    Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Charles Sprickman, )
     Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Magnus Hagander, )
     Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Dave Page, )
    Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  ("Steinar H. Gunderson", )
     Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Dave Page, )
      Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Oleg Bartunov, )
       Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Dave Page, )
 Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB  (Chris, )

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 06:36:11PM -0500, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Dave Page wrote:
>
> >Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >>
> >>Just as a datapoint, we did try to use mnogosearch for the
> >>postgresql.org website+archives search, and it fell over completely.
> >>Indexing took way too long, and we had search times several thousand
> >>times longer than with tsearch2.
> >>
> >>That said, I'm sure there are cases when it works fine :-)
> >
> >There are - in fact before your time the site did use Mnogosearch. We
> >moved to our own port of ASPSeek when we outgrew Mnogo's capabilities,
> >and then to your TSearch code when we outgrew ASPSeek.
>
> At risk of pulling this way too far off topic, may I ask how many
> documents (mail messages) you were dealing with when things started to
> fall apart with mnogo?  We're looking at it for a new project that will
> hopefully get bigger and bigger.  We will be throwing groups of mailing
> lists into their own mnogo config/tables...  If we should save ourselves
> the pain and look at something more homebrew, then we'll start
> investigating "Tsearch".

I don't know when it broke exactly, but I know we're currently doing
about 600,000 documents. AFAIK it started to fall apart pretty long
before that.

//Magnus