Re: SCMS question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: SCMS question
Date
Re: SCMS question  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: SCMS question  (Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> My typical cycle is to take the patch, apply it to my tree, then cvs
> diff and look at the diff, adjust the source, and rerun until I like the
> diff and apply.  How do I do that with this setup?

The same, except that you don't need to take the patch out of an email
and into the repository -- the new code is already in the repository,
sitting in someone's own branch.  You can commit into that branch all
the adjustments you want; and when you consider it ready, the only thing
you have to do is "propagate" the change to the main development branch.

Yes, it's nice.  Consider this: Andrew develops some changes to PL/perl
in his branch.  Neil doesn't like something in those changes, so he
commits a fix there.  In the meantime, Tom has been busy with his own
stuff and committing to the main branch; Andrew can track those changes
by propagating from the main branch to his branch -- he doesn't need to
fall behind and update his modified tree once a month and deal with
umpteen conflicts.

Of course, you can _also_ do the patch by email and correct stuff if you
want.  It's just not the best way to do it.