Re: Fastest DB restore options - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Fastest DB restore options
Date
List pgsql-admin
ogjunk-pgjedan@yahoo.com wrote:

> >   -d MyDB --format=c --ignore-version
>
> Don't use --ignore-version; it's a good way to shoot yourself in the foot.
>
> OG: even when upgrading (8.0.3 -> 8.2.3)?  I'll dump with pg_dump from 8.0.3 and them import with pg_restore from the
newlyinstalled 8.2.3.  Wouldn't I *have to* use --ignore-version for that to work?

The recommended procedure is to use 8.2.3's pg_dump, not 8.0's, to
connect to the old database.  And no, you don't need --ignore-version
for that, because pg_dump knows how to talk to previous server versions.
That switch is there only for connecting to a database of a _newer_
version that pg_dump's, and it's generally problematic because sometimes
an older pg_dump doesn't know how to read the newer system catalogs.