Re: postgresql vs mysql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: postgresql vs mysql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 01:45:08PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/21/07 08:42, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> > Not as good as "ERROR: hey bonehead, there ain't no such date" but
>
> But it *inserts the "data"*!!!!!

I didn't say otherwise and I'm not defending MySQL's behavior.  I was
simply refuting the statement that "it doesn't warn you that it didn't
like the input format."

> > at least it's something :-)
>
> Sure, at the interactive command line.
>
> What kind of error code does this return to applications?  Can a PHP
> or C programmer catch this warning, or does MySQL return a success code?

Beats me; I care about my data so I don't use MySQL.  Since it's a
warning I expect the query returns success.  The C API has a
mysql_warning_count() function that appears to be exposed in PHP's
mysqli extension as mysqli_warning_count.  That C function doesn't
appear in the source code for any of the other MySQL extensions in
PHP 5.2.1.

--
Michael Fuhr