Re: postgresql vs mysql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: postgresql vs mysql
Date
List pgsql-general
At 12:02 AM 2/22/2007, Scott Marlowe wrote:

>You can't change a table in any way without rewriting the whole thing,
>resulting in a very long wait and a complete table lock on any alter
>table action on big tables.  Don't forget that if you've got a really

Oh yeah, that reminds me. "rewriting the whole thing" means in most
cases the _entire_ table is temporarily _duplicated_ (with all the
associated increased space requirements)![1]

WORSE: This happens if you are creating or deleting indexes, or even
changing a column definition!

So say you have a 40GB table, and have 30GB free space. Life is good
right? Then someone makes a reasonable request - Big Boss wants an
important report sped up, and it turns out you just need to create an
index. Enjoy :).

Running low on space and think you can get more space by deleting
some unused indexes? Probably not a good idea!

And even if disk space is cheap, IO bandwidth usually isn't...

Regards,
Link.

[1] "If you use any option to ALTER TABLE other than RENAME, MySQL
always creates a temporary table"

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/alter-table.html

MySQL: the PHP of databases.