BUG #3034: FATAL: could not open lock file "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission denied - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Jessica
Subject BUG #3034: FATAL: could not open lock file "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission denied
Date
Re: BUG #3034: FATAL: could not open lock file "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission denied  (Arpi <arkejpi@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      3034
Logged by:          Jessica
Email address:      hxq7681@cs.rit.edu
PostgreSQL version: 8.2
Operating system:   Unix
"/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission denied
Details:

Hi there,

I installed PostgreSQL. It looked fine immediately after installation.
However, when reused it, I always couldn't start server. I had to reinstall
it again and again. This time I got erroe message as below:
********
bash-3.00$ pg_ctl start -l logfile
server starting
bash-3.00$ pgsql testdb
bash: pgsql: command not found
bash-3.00$ psql testdb
psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
bash-3.00$ pg_ctl stop
pg_ctl: PID file "/home/group/s772/p772-01f/pgsql/CLUST/sys/postmaster.pid"
does not exist
Is server running?
bash-3.00$
********

The logfile showed:
*********
LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket: Cannot assign requested address
HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a
few seconds and retry.
FATAL:  could not open lock file "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission
denied
LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket: Cannot assign requested address
HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a
few seconds and retry.
FATAL:  could not open lock file "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission
denied

I really felt unset. It never worked well. What is wrong?

Thanks.

Jessica