Re: Small request re error message - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Small request re error message
Date
List pgsql-general
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Scott Ribe wrote:
> > > Oh.  Yea, I can see that, but even if the endian-ness is the same, it
> > > still might not work.  Even a different compiler flag will cause a
> > > failure to run properly.
> >
> > Sure. You can't flag every possible error. But my Intel & PPC Macs look
> > identical, and I compile with identical flags. So it would help people like
> > me, all one or two of us ;-)
>
> What would make more sense than printing the hex is to print a specific
> message if the endian-ness doesn't match, but I am worried people might
> assume it will work when the endian does match.

That doesn't make much sense because we give different error messages,
each telling that one little check failed.

I think adding the hex code is not helpful in the general case, but
maybe we could check for endianness if the control version fails, and
add that info in a HINT or something.