Re: New features for pgbench - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: New features for pgbench
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 01:08:04AM -0500, Greg Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Takayuki Tsunakawa wrote:
>
> >The Win32 APIs that pgbench is using for gettimeofday() (in
> >src/port/gettimeofday.c) is much lower in resolution than Linux.
>
> I wasn't aware of this issue, and it certainly makes the whole latency
> side of pgbench pretty useless on Win32.  There is code in
> src/include/executor/instrument.h that uses a higher resolution Windows
> timer API than gettimeofday() does (as you point out, that one is only
> resolves to one Windows tick, about 15ms).  If I can get a Windows build
> environment setup, I'll see if I can borrow that solution for pgbench.

As long as you only need to measure time *difference*, those are pretty
easy to use. Different from Unix, but easy. If you need to keep a
counter that contains actual time it can still be done, but it's a bit
more tricky (not really hard, though).

//Magnus