Re: period data type - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: period data type
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Warren,

> Is anyone working on a period data type as described in Dr. Richard
> Snodgrass' book _Developing Time-Oriented Database Applications in SQL_[1]?
> I did not see a relevant project listed in the TODO. I would like to
> contribute (possible funding and/or coding) the development of a conforming
> implementation of this data type.

You should start with a basic spec of what you want to do in plain-text e-mail
format.   It should answer the following questions:

a) What will be the functionality of the new type?
b) What need does it fill that current TIMESTAMP and INTERVAL do not?
c) Provide some sample syntax and queries which would show off the new type.
d) What dependencies would the new type create?  Index types?  Syntax
extensions?  Libraries?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun