Re: Index Anding - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Index Anding
Date
List pgsql-sql
You probably want to take these questions to the -general list, or
-admin, in future.  That said. . .

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 08:56:21AM -0600, Hiltibidal, Robert wrote:

> Does postgres provide for index anding?

Yes.  See
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/indexes-bitmap-scans.html>.
You don't need to do anything special.

> How does postgres handle tablespaces? I currently have my indexes going
> to one table space with my data going to a different table space. Is
> this possible in postgres?

Yes.  See
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/manage-ag-tablespaces.html>

> Does postgres provide 64 bit support? If so is there a precompiled 64
> bit version for AIX? I have the 32 bit GCC and can compile 32 bit. 64
> bit GCC I have not gotten stabilized. (I cold use a tip in that
> direction if anyone lese has experienced similar issues)

I know we've managed to get it to work using gcc, but I haven't had
to do it in a while (ask on -general or -admin, I suggest).  More
important is to make sure you tell the compiler to use all the
memory.  For reasons that are completely beyond my ken, AIX imposes a
memory limitation on every program at compile time.  There are some
hints about this in the FAQ_AIX.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
When my information changes, I alter my conclusions.  What do you do sir?    --attr. John Maynard Keynes