Re: Differentiate Between Zero-Length String and NULLColumn Values - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Differentiate Between Zero-Length String and NULLColumn Values
Date
Re: Differentiate Between Zero-Length String and NULLColumn Values  (Jamie A Lawrence <jal@clueinc.net>)
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 11:38:34AM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> I don't have an Oracle installation here and I haven't used it much but
> I wonder if they treat the following two statements differently.
>
>    SELECT * FROM table WHERE column IS NULL;
>    SELECT * FROM table WHERE column = NULL;

AFAIK they don't accept the latter any more than we do.  But again,
I'm an Oracle ignoramous.  I _do_ know that people of my acquaintance
who have historically only developed against Oracle have given me
queries with things like
value = ''

in it, and been surprised.  Or at least, I think it's like that.  I
do recall hearing a lot about how stupid Postgres was because it
didn't like something that worked "perfectly well" on Oracle, which I
was assured was the most SQL-compliant system on the planet.
Happily, I no longer work with any of those people :)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
"The year's penultimate month" is not in truth a good way of saying
November.    --H.W. Fowler