Re: Differentiate Between Zero-Length String and NULLColumn Values - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Herouth Maoz
Subject Re: Differentiate Between Zero-Length String and NULLColumn Values
Date
List pgsql-sql
Andrew Sullivan Wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 02:38:07PM +0100, Bart Degryse wrote:
> > Andrew, I think you're wrong stating that Oracle would interpret
> > NULL and empty string as equal. The Oracle databases I use (8, 9
> > and 10) certainly make a distiction between both values. Maybe
> > earlier versions did so, that I don't know.
>
> Hmm.  Well, I'm not an Oracle guy, so I don't really know.  All I
> know is that we occasionally get people coming from Oracle who are
> surprised by this difference.  What I've been _told_ is that '' and
> NULL are under some circumstances (maybe integers?) the same thing,
> whereas of course ' ' and NULL are not.  But since I'm not an Oracle
> user, people should feel free to ignore me :)

Sybase does something like that... In sybase, null and empty string are the
same. However, to avoid the equality ''=NULL, they actually interpret '' as a
single space. So if you do something like SELECT 'A'+''+'C' (concatenation is
+ in sybase), it results in 'A C'. Null is a "real" empty string in that its
length is zero, and if you insert a trim('') into a column, it will treat it
as NULL.

Herouth