Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway wrote:
> But I agree that we need considerably more discussion before
> committing the patch. I'm personally not sold on the need for
> modifications to the SQL grammar, for example, as opposed to just
> using a set of SQL-callable functions and some new system catalogs.

In particular, I would think that unless one is affiliated with The New
COBOL World Order, one would *prefer* a set of functions over new SQL
statements.  And using functions to manage extensions seems to be the
established way in Oracle land, if that matters at all.

--
Peter Eisentraut