Re: guid/uuid datatype - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: guid/uuid datatype
Date
List pgsql-patches
Neil Conway wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 19:19 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I think having it in core makes the most sense.
>
> Why is that?

I should have been clearer.  I think having in the main server or
/contrib makes sense.  Having data types external to our source tree
doesn't seem to work too well because of changes in our API from time to
time.  I think the UUID type has enough usage to warrant us maintaining
it.

> One question that comes to mind is how the submitted patch compares in
> functionality to the other implementations of the UUID concept for
> PostgreSQL, such as OSSP uuid (which implements a Postgres UDT in its
> CVS version), or the UUID project on gborg.

No idea.  They all have to be researched, and if we find they all have
different strenghts, I am afraid we will have to keep them all external.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us