Re: Finding bogus dates - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adam Rich
Subject Re: Finding bogus dates
Date
List pgsql-general
I suppose you could create a boolean function that does a cast, and catches the
execption, returning NULL.

If that doesn't work, a perl stored procedure using Date::Calc and check_date() ?

----- Original Message ----
From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@killerbytes.com>
To: pgsql-general postgresql.org <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2007 12:26:03 PM
Subject: [GENERAL] Finding bogus dates

Suppose that I have a varchar column which contains dates, and some of them
are bogus, such as '1968-02-31'. Is it possible to specify a query condition
"cannot be cast to a valid date". (It's legacy data, and I'm trying to clean
it up before importing into the final schema.) There probably aren't that
many, and I can just keep hitting pg errors one row at a time until I work
through this, but...

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@killerbytes.com