Re: Idea for fixing the Windows fsync problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Idea for fixing the Windows fsync problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>  BTW: what happens on Windows if we're trying to do the equivalent
> > of "rm -rf database-dir" and someone is holding open one of the
> files
> > in the directory?  Or has the directory itself open for readdir()?

For the first definity and I think for the second, when doing it from the commandline, you get a 'cannot delete the
directorybecause it is not empty'.

I'm not sure if our implementation for dealing with open files also work with directories.

> And I wonder what happens if Windows "copy" command is accessing the
> data files when bgwriter tries to open them for fsync, or the reverse
> of it.  copy would fail?

Sharing violation.

> If so, it means that online backup sometimes
> fails.

Any backup software backing up *Anything* online should be using
VSS or a custom OFM. and all real solutions do.

/Magnus