Re: Write to file from pgplsql function - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Write to file from pgplsql function
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 10:09:06 +0100,
  Sven Sporer <s.sporer@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there a way to write to a file in the filesystem from a pgplsql function?
>
> The reason for this is the architecture of our user system: Each new database has a file in $PGDATA/users with a list
ofusers who are allowed to connect to this database. In pg_hba.conf is a link to this file. As some users don't have
filesystemprivileges, but are allowed to add users, they have to be able to call a function in postgres which adds that
userto the file.

> I appreciate your help, or a tip to improve the user system.

In 8.2, you might have another option. There is now a CONNECT privilege for
databases. So you don't need to list all of your users individually in
the pg_hba.conf file to give only some of them access to particular
databases.