Re: Does pgsql's regex processor optimize Common-Prefix? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Does pgsql's regex processor optimize Common-Prefix?
Date
Re: Does pgsql's regex processor optimize Common-Prefix?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Kurapica wrote:

> I am developing an application which searches for city names in a
> column. There is a lot of cities and I have to 'like' every name which
> is not effective enough. So I want to know whether pgsql's regex
> processor can optimize regexes such as:
>
> Nebraska|Nevada|North Carolina
> N(e(braska|vada)|orth Carolina)
>
> If the processor can do that like a Dictionary-Tree, it may be
> affordable to me or else I have to write a matcher myself.
>
> Any suggestion is appreciated. Thank you and appologize for my poor English.

Compared to the use of indexes to skip whole table scanning, this
optimization is going to have very little impact.  So don't worry about
it.