Re: Clustering & Load Balancing & Replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Clustering & Load Balancing & Replication
Date
List pgsql-general
I assume you have read this new documentation for 8.2:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/high-availability.html

org@kewlstuff.co.za wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am currently investigating the preferred method of clustering a postgresql database on  Redhat?
> >
> >i would really appreciate some suggestions or experiences you guys have had.
> >
> >note: performance & redundancy are both equally desirable and i have plenty of resources.
> >
> >we already have licences for Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v4, i was wondering if Redhat's >Cluster Manager is a
candidate?~ or if either PGCluster or Slony1 have >advantages or drawbacks etc.

> Couple of months ago, when I started looking at replication, and clustering I saw this as a fairly basic question,
butthe more I got into it the more I realized there's clustering, clustering and clustering, and replication,
replicationand replication.
> I dont think anyone can give you a prefered method, not without a system spec.
>
> I looked at Slony, even tried to help debug it on windows, and eventually realised its Master Slave arrangement would
notwork for me.
> I looked at dBMirror, which I liked in concept but I didnt fancy the way the code was done in a project that seems to
bedead.
> Then I looked at some really weird and wonderful schemes that work on a core technology like a reliable message
queue,not for me.

> In the end I decided I wanted real time synchronous multi master replication, without conflict resolution, and that I
didntreally want a dBCluster, I needed to cluster and load balance at web level, allowing for things like session
management,multiple clusters, and remote sites.

> Bad news is I couldnt find it, not for free anyway.
>
> If you dont find a solution, try  http://spar.orgfree.com/index.html
> Please keep in mind, its new and written by a novice out of desparation, not one of the community super geeks, but it
takesa very pragmatic approach to replication and maybe just what the doctor ordered.... Good Luck.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us