Re: Password strength requirements - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomasz Ostrowski
Subject Re: Password strength requirements
Date
Re: Password strength requirements  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> > But I need an ability to change passwords.
>
> But do you have to use the native passwords in Postgres? If you use
> ldap or pam, you could use passwords maintained somewhere else that
> had more strict requirements.

As I've written earlier I'd have to:
- learn and understand this LDAP/PAM - how to use it, how to change
  passwords remotely, how to define password strength requirements,
  etc.
- setup and maintain this services, creating another single point of
  failure,
- document it for the future system administrator,
- implement password change function in application, using secure
  transport.

And everything I need would be very simple to do if there was an
option to disable self-change of passwords for ordinary users.

I'm writing here, because I have a problem with PostgreSQL, for which
I can see a simple solution if PostgreSQL would have one more simple
feature. I hoped I've overlooked something in the documentation and
this feature is present. If not, then maybe someone else would also
need this, and it'll perhaps make it to the TODO list.

Regards
Tometzky
--
...although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a
moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you